"Join One Of The Best Churches In Louisville KY!"
Provided you're seeking an emerging, progressive-faith community, for worship, you're invited to visit what others claim to be one of the best churches in Louisville KY, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. Louisville Kentucky churches vary in beliefs, and how they practice worship of God and Jesus. We are welcoming, and accepting of all men and women of any ethnicity, race, creed, or sexual orientation. If you're looking for a new home of worship, our church in Louisville KY is a great place to receive God's word and develop your journey with God and spirituality. Whether you're seeking the largest churches in Louisville or churches in downtown Louisville KY, we welcome you to visit us for worship first, and decide for yourself!
Father Bill started his ministry as Interim Rector on August 16, 2013. Ordained to the priesthood in 1996, Fr. Bill has served parishes in the dioceses of New York, Long Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and now Kentucky. He has completed intentional interim training with the Interim Ministry Network and with the Clergy Leadership Institute, as well as training in Congregational Development, Team Building and Conflict Management. Currently he is in discernment for the Order of the Ascension, a non-resident order of clergy and laity focused on congregational development and Episcopal spirituality. You may find out more about the Oder here.
Fr. Bill, his husband, Rob, and their dog Bear are enjoying living in Louisville and continuously appreciating the area.
In 1991, after years of travel courtesy of the US Army, Martha settled in Elizabethtown with her husband, Archie, a retired Master Sergeant, and their two sons, Robert and Casey. When the boys went off to college she decided to pursue her interest in Christian Education and earned her BA in Theology from Bellarmine University in 2006. Martha was the Children's Minister at Saint Andrew's from 2002-2015 and has been Parish Administrator since 2015.
Marci came to St. Andrew's in February, 1997, as organist. She soon became the director of the Taylor Bell Choir as well. Her Bachelor of Music Education and Master of Music (church music and organ) degrees were earned at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind. She taught piano at Gavilan College in Gilroy, California for 16 years and has been an adjunct instructor in music at Indiana University Southeast since 1998. Marci met her husband, Jay, at Indiana University, where they were married at Beck Chapel. In true Hoosier tradition their son, David, received his B.S. in computer science and J.D. (law degree) from I.U., where he met his wife, Christina (J.D. from I.U.). Major Dickinson, USAF, and his family, now including Will and Luke, live in Montgomery, AL.
Rafael has been at St. Andrew's for many years as the sexton. He hails from Cuba. Rafael is married to Shiela and they have two beautiful boys: Geovanni and Angelo.
Mother Anne came to St. Andrew's in November of 2015 as Priest Associate for Youth Formation and Family Ministry. She was ordained to the priesthood in Louisville in 2008 and has served as Assistant Rector at St. Mark's, Louisville, and as Rector of St. Thomas, Louisville. She and her husband Don have 5 adult children and one granddaughter. Anne is working on her Masters of Sacred Theology degree in church history at the School of Theology at the University of the South and enjoys teaching adults in the Diocesan School of Ministry, as well as fourth and fifth graders at Louisville Classical Academy (Biblical Narratives). In her spare time, Mo. Anne likes to write, travel, and cook.
David was the founding director of Louisville's Youth Performing Arts School Vocal Music Department, and the Kentucky Governor's School for the Arts Summer Program, in addition to being the long-time conductor of Kentucky's popular Stephen Foster Story in Historic Bardstown. In addition to his duties here at St. Andrews, he has extensive experience as a tenor soloist in many venues and continues as a private voice teacher of high school students and adults.
Emily has been with St. Andrew’s since 2003, and also works as the alto section leader for the adult choir. Emily has a bachelor’s degree in music education, with an emphasis in voice, and has completed some master’s level work at the University of Louisville Kent School of Social Work. She has extensive experience as a soloist and enjoys participating in a variety of musical opportunities. She and her husband, Barry, enjoy playing bluegrass music and bring this musical genre into the worship service on occasion. She currently stays at home with her son, Leo, and daughter Zora, and loves every minute of it.
Marco is Rafael's brother and is also from Cuba.
Open hearts, open minds, open doors for all God’s People
St. Andrew’s is a progressive and welcoming community of Christians in the Episcopal Tradition. Find out more about the Episcopal Church here. We seek to serve Christ by serving the wider community of the Highlands. You will find a warm welcome and many opportunities for involvement.
St. Andrew's History
In 1855, St. Paul’s Missionary Society was organized to expand the church’s ministry in the Louisville area. The society decided to establish a mission in the near vicinity of Louisville to be called St. Andrew’s. The following year a site was purchased for $4,600 on Chestnut Street, between Ninth and Tenth streets. On January 8, 1857, the vestry was elected, and on January 30, The Rev. John Singer Wallace was called to be their rector. The first service of St. Andrew’s was held on Sunday morning, February 1, 1857, and the church was consecrated April 15, 1857.
Two years later, August 20, 1859, the Rev. R. W. Lewis was called to be the rector. Three years after that, the Rev. Norman Badger was called on June 6, 1862. However, in 1865 the property was sold, and in the following year, 1866, Mr. R. A. Robinson, Sr. gave the lot on the northeast corner of Second and Kentucky streets. Here a church was erected and consecrated on June 21, 1868. This location would be home to St. Andrew’s for the next sixty-eight.
The Rev. W. Q. Hullihen was called December 14, 1868. Soon after, in 1870, the walls of the church were deemed unsafe, and it was necessary for the church to rebuild. The Rev. C. E. Shield was called to be rector October 26, 1871. Halting the trend of rapid turnover, he served as rector for 12 years. On November 1, 1883, the former Bishop of "Cape Palmas and parts adjacent" (region of Western Africa near the Ivory Coast), the Rt. Rev. C. C. Penick D.D. came on as the church’s sixth rector. Also that year The Rev. C. M. Young was called as assistant rector and minister in charge of St. Luke’s “Colored Mission,” the first in what would be a legacy of establishing missions in the Louisville area and beyond. On January 9, 1884, the congregation decided to enlarge the church building B, which was completed in November of that same year.
Two years later in 1886, classrooms were expanded, and by 1887 discussion began around building a new church. The cornerstone was laid on May 2, 1889 at 5:30 p.m. with the Rt. Rev. T. U. Dudley officiating. The old sanctuary became the parish hall. The first service was held on Sunday, October 16, 1889. In 1893, the Rev. L.W. Burton followed Bishop Penick and served until 1895.
In 1893, the people of St. Andrew’s and the diocese saw a need for a church in the extreme eastern part of the city, and thanks to the generosity of Mr. R. A. Robinson II, son of the benefactor responsible for purchasing the property on Second and Kentucky streets, land was purchased on Fischer Avenue. St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church was established as a mission of St. Andrew’s. The mission quickly became self-sufficient, and as a parish moved to the corner of Shelby and St. Catherine streets.
The Rev. John K. Mason succeeded Burton in 1896. The Rev. John K. Mason remained rector until his death in 1911. In 1906, St. Andrew’s established their third mission, Emmanuel Church, in the extreme southern part of the city. The property was also given by Mr. R. A. Robinson II.
The Rev. W. Cosby Bell began serving as rector on April 18, 1911. The following year Cosby resigned to accept a post as the chair of theology for Virginia Theological Seminary. On May, 27, 1912, The Rev. James M. Owens of Norfolk, Virginia, accepted the call of rector. Owens resigned in 1916, and after an extensive search, The Rev. John S. Douglas of Huntington, West Virginia, accepted the call.
Interestingly, in 1913, 1918 (to conserve resources during the war), 1924, 1927, and 1937, discussions emerged between different parties of St. Andrew’s, Calvary and St. Paul’s regarding either two or three of the churches merging together. Such a merger never occurred.
The 1930’s were a tough time for much of this country, and St. Andrew’s fortunes were no exception. The Great Depression was upon us. The concentration of Episcopal churches, the scarcity of resources and the population shift of urban America away from the city hit our parish hard. The church had dwindled down to fewer than 200 members, down from its peak of almost 700 in 1914.
Effective on Dec. 31, 1936, after twenty years of service to St. Andrews, the Rev. John S. Douglas resigned. After The Rev. J. Wilson Hunter of Fort Campbell, Kentucky, declined the call of rector, Bishop Clingman recommended that Father Douglas continue until February, 1937. He was elected Rector Emeritus.
In January, 1937, the Great Flood devastated Louisville, causing 220,000 people to evacuate. St. Andrew’s suffered tremendous damage, including to the church, parish hall, rectory, and auditorium. The already difficult time was exacerbated by the aforementioned realization that the downtown area even prior to the flood could hardly sustain four Episcopal churches in such close proximity. Christ Church Cathedral, Calvary, St. Paul’s, and St. Andrews were all within a narrow strip two blocks wide by little over a mile and a half.
On February 13, 1937, the vestry meet to discuss the damage and their future. In the following couple of months with both St. Paul’s and St. Andrew’s without rectors, Bishop Clingman guided the churches to consider a three-church merger between Calvary, St. Paul’s and St. Andrew’s with oversight to be given to the rector of Calvary. St. Andrew’s was to be sold with half the proceeds to be given to St. Paul’s and Calvary and half to go towards this new merged church. The proposition also suggested an eventual church founded by St. Andrew’s to be established in the Highlands. St. Andrew’s voted in favor of the merger and the first joint service was held on April 18, 1937. On May 12, transfer of all realty to “Calvary-St. Paul’s” was ordered by the vestry. St. Andrew’s selected six members to serve with six from the other two parishes to form the leadership of this new church.
By 1938, the merger proved unsuccessful and St. Andrew’s announced its plan to establish a congregation in the Highlands under its own name. The merger was dissolved and all property and memorials were returned to their respective parishes. Bishop Clingman declared that by March 1, 1938, St. Andrew’s was to be organized and functioning at its temporary location at the corner of Bardstown Road and Richmond Drive. Bishop Clingman was elected as temporary rector of the parish. On April 1 of that year, the Rev. J. Wilson Hunter accepted the call as St. Andrew’s 12th rector and would serve until 1946.
In 1939, St. Andrew’s purchased its current campus on the corner of Woodbourne and Ellerbe avenues and built a one-story parish house and auditorium. On April 30, the cornerstone from the church building at Second and Kentucky was laid at the new home of St. Andrew's. The foundation was built and used as worship and Christian education space until they began construction of the current sanctuary and Collins Hall shortly after the end of World War II. In fact, the church was one of the first post war building contracts in this area. The construction was in full swing by the summer of 1946, and the church was completed and dedicated the following year.
On May 20, 1946, The Rev. Andrew E.F. Anderson, D.D., began his ministry at St. Andrew’s. Everything was moved into the new sanctuary for the first service on the first Sunday of February, 1947. The dedication of the completed church was celebrated on September 28, 1947. Rev. Anderson served the parish for 30 years, during which time the church procured an organ with a fascinating history. He oversaw the installation of our murals and worked closely with artists in creating our stained glass windows. Rev. Anderson served through the post-World War era, the Korean war, the Vietnam war, the Civil Rights Movement, and the ordination of women.
He was succeeded by the Rev. Frank Cayce, who served from 1977 to 1983. Frank was a cousin of Edgar Cayce, a famed national psychic. He was followed by his assistant, The Rev. John Hines, who served from 1984 until 2000. The Rev. Steve Wilson arrived as rector in December, 2001, and served until spring of 2004. The Rev. Benjamin Wells Maas, began serving as interim in July, 2004, and was called to be the 17th rector of St. Andrews in May, 2005. He served at St. Andrew's until Jan. 20, 2013, and was instrumental in moving the parish toward more inclusivity of the LGBTQ community. Our current rector is The Very Rev. William C. Parker, who began his ministry with St. Andrew’s in August 2013. He and his husband, Rob, hail from the Philadelphia area.
You Are Invited To Join Us For Worship!
Visit One Of The Best Episcopal Churches In Louisville KY, Or Call: (502) 452-9581
Ministries @ St.A's
St. Andrew's is involved in several outreach ministries located at the church:
Partnering with our sister parish, Church of the Advent, St. Andreans participate in a monthly Food Pantry on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Beginning at 9:00am local residents are given boxes of food to help them get through the month. We currently serve around 300 families, 1/3 of whom have children.
On the Thursday evening prior to the pantry, boxes are packed for distribution the following Saturday. That process begins at 6:00pm at Church of the Advent.
If you would like to learn more, and/or volunteer, please contact Amanda Prioetti.
Louisville Classic Academy
St. Andrew's provides space for the Louisville Classic Academy August-June. The LCA campus serves children from kindergarten through 3rd grade. Grades 4-12 are located at Douglass Boulevard Christian Church. For more information, click here.
Many 12-step programs gather at St. Andrew's on various days and times. Programs range from AA, OA, DA, and Al-Anon. If you need to know who meets and when, contact the parish office or call the office at 452-9581.
Music Together is an early childhood music program stressing adult involvement in mixed-age classes involving singing, moving, chanting, listening, and exploring musical instruments. They meet at St. Andrew's on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday mornings. For more information, please contact them directly here.
Paws with Purpose
Paws with Purpose (PwP) is a non-profit organization that provides highly skilled Assistance Dogs as partners to children and adults with physical disabilities or other special needs. PwP meets at St. Andrew's on Saturdays, and has several events a year at St. Andrew's. To find out more information, click here.
Highlands Community Ministries Yoga. For info, click here.
Zumba in the Highlands with Ivonne. For info, click here.
Louisville English Country Dancers. For info, click here.
Louisville Scottish Country Dance Soiciety. For info, email here.
Kung Fu. For more information, contact the parish office here.
Louisville Pipe Band. For info, click here.